Monday, November 30, 2009

A simple tool for Data Manipulation Projects…

When I am working on any kind of project that requires data manipulation at a database level. I normally have my teams create a simple data tracking UI in windows/of Linux that polls a table for changes and refreshes if any are detected.

This tool is sometimes extended to prepare and view data used in demo systems.

Since this is a commonly created tool, I am considering creating a more complex version of this utility for general consumption. I am also toying with the idea of attempting to use F# with either silver light or WPF to create the UI and UI logic.

Idea’s on features for this tool would be useful.

I will document initial very high level UI/UX design of the tool in later blog entries. As well as some key User stories.

Right now the high level bullet list features are:

  1. List of tables being tracked
  2. View of data in table
  3. Simple way to save query against table if looking for certain data – simple SQL where
  4. Simple way to show related data – 1 level deep only
  5. Simple mechanism to refresh data based on a duration say every 5 seconds
  6. Simple way to show if a table has received an update -  for now just total row count(*) changes are enough.
  7. Ability to point to any database server (initially just SQL server 2005+)
  8. Windows based UI (WPF first, then maybe a silver light version)

That’s all for now.

The use case for the tool is simple, when I apply logic to update a table that has no UI, I can use this tool to show/demonstrate changes to data.

No comments: